Monday, November 26, 2012

bespoke, besmirch

Fresh and clean, still hanging in the dry cleaner's plastic bag, but now stuffed inside a black garbage bag and tossed in a dumpster: an Italian-made Valentino Uomo men's suit (from Neiman Marcus's Designer Collection), two Ike Behar dress shirts, and a bespoke sport shirt.

The suit and the dress shirts I'll pass on to the shelter--and I'll enjoy the thought of some down-on-his-luck guy decked out in them, heading to a job interview or a wedding.  

The bespoke shirt I think I'll keep for myself. As a scrounger, the thought of wearing another man's bespoke shirt just seems so right...so wrong...so beautiful in its besmirching.

1 comment:

  1. I once donated a wedding dress to a local thrift, hoping that some young girl would find it as beautiful and perfect as I had. Imagine my horror when I later discovered that the "nice" dresses (like mine) aren't put out on the rack to be sold for ten bucks, but are instead auctioned off to people who then sell them in upscale "vintage" shops. This was in Utah, I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but it was an incredible disappointment.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete